Thursday, June 12, 2008

Teddy Girls, a forgotten subculture.

Photobucket


As I was going through my reader this morning, I happened across this post at Behind the Curtain. I was so surprised because, this is the first time I've ever heard anything about teddy girls. I'm not one to toot my own horn but, I'm pretty knowledgeable about life and society in the 1940s-50's. It may be due to the fact that this movement seemed to be focused in and around London for the most part and I tend to go for Americana.

Anyway, I was intrigued and decided to dig around a bit. Its true, not much is known about the typical teddy girl. As far as I can tell, they were considered rather dense and frivolous in their time. Oh, how stereotypes do prevail! There was no set wardrobe but, pencil skirts and pointed shoes known as "winkle pickers" were all the rage as seen here:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Winkle Pickers


The above article is just about the only thing I came across that had any somewhat detailed information on what this lifestyle entailed. Their male counterparts, known as teddy boys should give us the jist of what these kids stood for.


Sunny Side Up!,
Krista

2 comments:

Richard said...

Ow! Those shoes look painful.

Personally, I prefer sensible shoes (on my feet and on women's feet).

I don't like scrunched up and twisted toes.

Krista said...

hahaha. Yeah.
Screw that whole thing about pain being the price for beauty!